Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:35:24 -0800
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Walter Meyer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Deryk Barker wrote:
>
>>Beethoven's last composition for string quartet was the new finale for
>>Op.130 and Op.134, the arrangement of the Grosse Fugue for piano, four
>>hands, was his last composition for keyboard.
>
>I didn't know that LvB had written a keyboard arrangement for the Gand
>Fugue.  Are there recordings of it? I've never seen any in the bins at
>the stores, but I never looked for any either.

The transcription was part of Artaria's scam to persuade B to compose
another finale to Op.130.  Originally it was done by someone else, but
apparnetly Beethoven took one look and said he'd do it himself.  Which
he did.

The only recording I know is on Nonesuch by Paul Jacobs and Ursula Oppens
(I have the LP but I have heard tell of a CD reissue) which also includes
Busoni's Fantasia Contrappuntistica and Busoni's 4-hand arrangement of
Mozart's piece for musical clock.

Deryk Barker