From:
Rod Billett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:34:11 -0400
Al,
     I might be making an asumption here, but how many frames of
foundation do you have in the new hive?  9 or 10?

   When drawing out comb, it is best to use 10 frames to ensure
the proper bee space and initiate proper comb construction.  When
the space between the sheets of foundation is too great, the bees
sense that the cells would be too deep if drawn out 'the way we
want it', so they build the comb cross ways to get it 'the way
they
want it'.

   I saw this in my friends hive last year.  He had frame spacers
in his honey supers, and inserted 9 frames of foundation.  It was
a mess.  instead of using frame spacers attached to the hive
body, I use the metal rabbets (Easier to scrape off propolis and
keep clean) and my brood chambers are 10 frames.  Honey supers
are 10 frames when being drawn out, and 9 frames when drawn comb,
spaced with a homemade hand held spacer tool (Similar to the one
brushy mountain sells).

   As for what to do to correct the situation?  I will let the
older more experienced BEE-L'ers provide that answer.

Rod Billett
Lexington, SC