HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:22:45 -0800
>The Steamboat Arabia was excavated in a KS cornfield by a group of private
individuals, including a father and sons (Bob, David, and Greg Hawley, of
Independence, MO), who subsequently opened the museum in Kansas City.

>To the best of my knowledge there is no (published) detailed inventory of
the incredible wealth of 1856 vintage goods recovered.  I picked up two
books in the museum gift shop on a recent visit:

>David C. Hawley
>   1995   The Treasures of the Steamboat Arabia.  David C. Hawley.
>- a 60-page, large format, soft-cover, book with lots of color photographs
providing a summary of the history of the steamboat, the excavations, and
the "treasure" recovered

>and
>
>Greg Hawley
>   1998   Treasure in a Cornfield:  The Discovery and Excavation of the
Steamboat Arabia, An Adventure by Greg Hawley.  Paddlewheel Publishing,
Kansas City, MO.
>- an approx. 200-page, hard-back book providing a more detailed
description of the excavation, recovery of the "treasure," the preservation
and conservation work, and development of the museum.  It includes a
17-page appendix with a "generalized inventory" of the artifacts recovered,
listing the artifact (e.g., nib) by category (e.g., communication),
material (e.g., steel), and count (e.g., 2,000).  Manufacturers are listed
for some items as well as additional information for some artifact types
(e.g., for ceramics -vessel form, and decoration.  Another appendix lists
the names of merchants by town and the cargo that they lost (variously
listed by numbers of boxes or packages, barrels of whiskey or ale, feet of
lumber, or item).

>It is an incredible collection.  It makes an interesting comparison with
the 1865 Bertrand wreck a 100 miles or so upriver.