HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:12:21 +0200
Joan Griffith schrieb:
> In a message dated 3/24/00 9:24:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << My impression is that, to
>  Wheeler, leadership meant keeping the "wogs" in awe and fear. >>
> Seriously:
> Could he have done it any other way at that time?? Weren't the "wogs" pretty
> much uneducated & a bunch of thieves (if not watched)? Did others do it
> differently?
> Is it different today???

there are rumours that the state archaeologist of one of the states out here put
up barbed wire and towers with spotlites around his sites until fairly recently
- keep the locals out at nite -
        i've never been offered as many artifacts to buy as from guides/guards
at egyptian sites - but isn't that part of the public paradigm, that we should
be educating the hired help so that they understand the importance of things
like provenience, what they're doing, and why it's better to document the stuff
than peddle it on the black market? shouldn't we be giving some incentive to do
the latter, too?

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/