HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:58:00 -0500
At 03:57 PM 11/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>"Mary C. Beaudry" wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm inquiring whether anyone knows about archaeology at sites
>> associated with Quakers, in North America and elsewhere, domestic and
>> otherwise?  I've been brainstorming and have come up with only a handful of
>> sources, so any embellishment of my meager list would be most welcome.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> MaryB.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Mary C. Beaudry, Associate Professor
>> Department of Archaeology
>> Boston University
>> 675 Commonwealth Avenue
>> Boston, MA 02215
>>

>A number of Quakers were associated with the early iron industry.  Many of
the
>facilities built in The Valley and Blue Ridge of Virginia were started by
>Quakers.  Many of them came from iron families in Pennsylvania.
>
>For instance, Isaac Zane founded the Marlboro Iron Works south of
Winchester in
>1772/3.  He was also a partner with other Quakers in another furnace that
went
>into blast in 1767/8.  His brother in law, John Pemberton was an
ironmonger in
>Philadelphia.  And his brother, John Zane, made steel in Trenton, NJ.
>
>I haven't really looked at the Quaker connection.  But, I remember reading
about
>a number of others.  When I have time I will try and ferret some out.
>
>JH Brothers IV

To add to the above, Charles Dew's "Bond of Iron:  Master and Slave at
Buffalo Forge," Norton, 1994, is a detailed history of a forge and mining
operation run (if I remember correctly) by a Quaker who moved to the Valley
of Virginia in the 1820s.  It's good history, but the study cried out for
archaeology; one for the eternal history-vs.-archaeology debate.

David Babson.