HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 17:32:10 +1000
Message Body (13 lines)
Mail*LinkŪ SMTP               POM Industrial Archaeology

When hired to review the state of Industrial Archaeology in NSW some years ago the definitation of Industrial Archaeology as the archaeology of work had a certain apeal in that it allowed one to consider BHP but also things like kitchens.

Of course in the context of POM Archaeology the industrial revolution keeps getting pushed back to a point where it can hardly been seen as post medeival. In that case who covers the post industrialised era? We cannot leave the steam era to Anglican clergy!

I think we should support those poms interested in the 19th and 20th Century simply because of the global influence of British culture and commodities. Have ny of you caught up with the volume of papers on settler societies and environmtal history by Tom Griffiths which address some of these themes?

I am sorry about the English cricket team but I fear it is only a matter of time before the Aussies join you.

Iain Stuart
University of Sydney