HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Neal Hitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:27:54 -0400
Request for Proposal (RFP)as opposed to a Request for Quotation(RFQ) is
government jargon for soliciting a proposal for a specific Scope of Work
that involves more leeway than a RFQ, which is generally a low bidder
situation.  The RFP allows companies to suggest the best way to approach
your project and often price is not the determinant but the amount of
work vs. the value of that work is the winning criteria.  This is also
referred to as a Lowest and Best bid.  Often a component of the Proposal
is an Statement of Qualifications(SOQ) This is a series of documents
(often vitas, financial statements and previous work) that proves that
the contractor can actually do the work. New companies will bid low but
they often are not qualified.  This type of request allows you an out
because you can chose who you think is the best contractor for your
particular Scope of Work.