From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:05:35 +0000
I wrote:

>>I have heard pianists playing for nothing who would blow your mind.  I
>>want to challange the perception that big names whoever they are are
>>necessarily best.

Billy Kitson replied:

>Conversely = Is the BPO when "in a bad patch" as Bad as the Queenland/Fort
>Worth Symphony Orch "when on a High"??

I think it implicit in my statement above that I think the answer to this
is yes, far worse (or maybe it should be not as good)!  But this is
something I have already outlined when I mentioned the 'big names
syndrome'.

>Or is a "Bad Concert Experience" when One gets there Late, The Audience
>has "Coughing Fits" Continually, the Hall is too Hot/Cold, the Seat's
>Loose and You daren't move "" As bad as a Quiet Room @ Home with Good
>Sound Systems Plus yer favorite drink and favorite "partner"??

I have been writing about the psychology of sound perception in a few posts
I've made recently.  Some members have dismissed it, whilst others seem in
broad agreement.

It is said that one can never take the same photograph twice.  (because of
lighting, object movement etc).  If I said that one can never hear the same
performance of a piece of music twice, most people I think would probably
agree.  But, I think, also, that one can never hear a CD the same way
twice.

This is because of the effects of the physical environment on perception
of the worth of a work/performance.

Everyone probably realises that the weather has an effect on sound.  When
the temperature is up sound travels at a different speed.  Correct me if I
am wrong here, but I think this change varies across different frequencies.
Clearly then, this will have an effect on one's perception of the value of
a piece.

Also of course musical instruments go out of tune more readily in hot
weather.  Their timbre is also altered.

But the physical environment has an effect on a persons mental state as
well.  People tend to feel iritated just before a thunderstorm.  And, have
you noticed how your stereo always sounds worse during hot dry weather?

In my own experience I get the most listening pleasure when there is heavy,
but non-thundery rain falling.

So here we have yet another facet of my contention that there are no
absolutes in music appreciation.

Bob Draper
I have no fancy titles to put here