From:
Son Lieu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:49:52 -0700
I currently have the 1957 EMI version of this enchanting opera but I feel
that I am one of very few who likes this particular recording.  I just
bought the highlights disc with Haitink conducting and it easily surpassed
this boring Karajan version.  I know I will offend some when I admit
that Schwarzkopf does nothing for me.  She is so stiff.  Ever since my
realization that there may be better versions of this opera, I am wondering
if those on this list can make some suggestions about versions they like.
Particularly intriguing is the Solti version on Decca that is now sadly out
of print.  I want that version more than anything!  If anyone also knows of
places that will track down the Decca version, please tell.  Remarks about
the Karajan 1957 recording are also appreciated, pro or con.  Thanks.

Son