From:
Baris Kilicbay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:34:43 +0300
Bob Draper:

>I like this analogy between music and art.  Let me put another proposition
>to you.  Would like to you touch up the Mono Lisa with brighter colours?
>Perhaps we could make Van Gough's lines a bit smoother.  Or, sharpen up
>a Turner.
>
>Of course such ideas are anathema to most people.  So why do we touch
>up classical music Haydn/Mozart/Bach etc by playing it on modern less
>astringent instruments or with larger ensembles? Why do people tolerate
>this? Isn't this sacrilige?

But music is an art of performance and you need interpreters to appreciate
it.  Painting is a concrete art, the creation and the result are the same.
If you will change anything in the painting, this would not be Van Gogh or
da Vinci anymore...  You can play Bach's keyboard suites in a modern piano
or use female voices in the b-minor mass, this would not affect the music
itself...

Baris Kilicbay
Ankara, Turkey