From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:55:26 -0700

I said "musicians"...:-)

>Mozarts IQ is estimated to ca 150 by MENSA in London, who use to dabble
>with that.

Ah Mensa.  Used to belong in my teens, encountered some of the most stupid
people in my life, left rapidly.  Their hero, if not one of their founders,
was Sir Cyril Burt, whose groundbreaking work on the IW's of separated
identical twins was found, after his death, to have been based almost
entirely on invented data,

I wouldn't trust anything they say.

>Several composers had most probably higher IQ although not considered such
>great composers.  Philidor again as example.  And so we have that prof who
>claimed that many would have Mozarts skill if they just had been training
>so mcuh from early age.  But thats also another story.  *sigh*

But you're turning it around.  My suggestion was seeing whether an exposure
to music followed by an enthusiasm for it had any significance, not whether
mathematics or chess made good musicians.

Deryk Barker