From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:25:07 -0500
Felix Delbrueck wrote:

>Aaron Rabushka mentioned Gieseking and 'a splendid collection of Mozart
>piano music that he did for EMI'.  I've heard very bad things about G.'s
>studio Mozart - lifeless, tired, roccoco, 19th-century Dresden china, etc,
>but I haven't heard it myself (too expensive to buy a whole collection
>whose value is doubtful).  Any other opinions on it?

I would call it elegant, idomatic, aristocratic and energetic. I have loved
this set for years and think very highly of it.  Borrow a sample from
someone and judge for yourself.

This brings me to one of my major pet peeves about many a music lover.
What ever happened to going to the record store and grabbing something
totally unknown to you and giving it a try just for adventure?

Oh yes, I have heard all the arguments." I don't want to spend $18 on
something unknown to me.  " That's hog puckey.  I don't know of a reputable
record chain on the planet that wouldn't refund a good customer's money or
at least allow and exchange if he or she was dissatisfied with a purchase.

In my ten years of record retail, I learned to absolutely detest
that damned Penguin Guide because of all the lemmings that wouldn't
buy groceries without first consulting that putrid book.  Moreover, I
considered the Penguin disciples a lower lot than those who give money
to televangelists because they simply couldn't think for themselves.

For heaven's sake, let's have a little adventure around here.  Go to the
store and buy something totally off the wall.  You might find yourself in
love with a totally new branch of music and hate yourself for having passed
it over for so long.

Be brave!

Kevin Sutton