From:
Billy Kitson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 08:55:36 +1000
John Dalmas wrote:

>Andrew Carlan wrote:
>
>>Friends ---With your indulgence, some summer lightness.
>
>Andrew's post had me laughing at Victorian attitudes about such
>things, and what Victorian audiences undoubtedly found funny.

Years ago I attended a Double Film Screening in an Italian Suburb of
Perth(WA -Australia); featured a Full Scale Italian "Opera Glorioso" (can't
recall which!); and "Ruddigore" which I know "back to front" from Youth @
a Boarding school; I sat thru' the G&S in "Major Hysteria" singing along
quietly and totally enjoying it = the Italians sat in "Stunned Mullets"
Silence TOTALLY bewildered looks on their faces & they had come to a
metropolitan suburban cinema dressed like one would for a "1st Night" @ "La
Scala" - Furs & Diamonds and Tuxedos - the whole shebang!!  What a "Nite
Out"?? Must have been 25 years ago!!  THE POINT = G&S words are/were
topical; and Only written for the Audience of the day & of the Time - To
anyone else they are total NONSENSE!!

Bill(Y)