From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:24:17 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Bob Draper's advice to Juozas Rimas:
>
>>Listen to what you like.  Don't feel intimidated into having the biggest
>>names in your collection if you don't like them.
>
>I did find Bob's intimidation theme interesting.  Are there any listeners
>out there who feel intimidated into buying recordings they really don't
>want because of "consensus" opinion? Sounds strange to me.  Buying and
>listening to recordings is such a private activity that I can't imagine
>anyone not handling it just the way they want to.

I think I understand what he(Mr. Draper) is getting at.  There are a lot
of CM listeners who would crucify you for displaying distaste for someone
like Mozart.  Although I agree with you Don......there is no point in
rallying constantly against someone's work...especially if they are not
here to defend it themself.

I have been in the CM chat rooms on AOL and other servers...I was quite
rudely antagonized for my lack of interest in Mozart.  I heard quips like,
"If you don't like Mozart then you really don't know jack SH@# about
classical music!" On the contrary.......I could have easily said....."If
you don't like Matthew Locke then YOU do not know anything!" But these kind
of attitudes are really useless.  They just prove what a jerk the person
is for having them.  I believe this is the kind of thing Mr. Draper was
talking about with the intimidation comment and I must say that I agree.

-Wes