From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:32:18 +1000
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Just maybe people are talking of different Benjamins?? There's Arthur
>Benjamin (b. 1898; d. 1960) by whom I know only his "Jamaican Rhumba"
>which I actually find quite nice, and whom I *thought* at first everybody
>was talking about until I found out that there was also a George Benjamin
>(b. 1960), by whom I don't recall having heard anything.

Arthur Benjamin's 1944-5 first symphony (Marco Polo 8.223764, Queensland
SO/Christopher Lyndon-Gee, coupled with his Ballade for Strings) is an
interestingly moody work running about 40' and which you should respond to
if you like the symphonies of such people as Alwyn and Bax.  I also have on
an Everest LP a concerto and a concertino for piano and orchestra which are
pleasant enough music but I'm not sure if they've made it to CD.

Richard Pennycuick