From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 01:31:31 -0500
Felix wrote:

>I don't think you're doing Arrau justice there.  I also don't think that he
>cared what the critics would say about the recording.  Vanity or gimmicky
>publick relations were definitely not in his character.  It's likely that
>that recording was just forgotten in the archives.  Reputedly, when he
>heard himself in it when it was discovered, he said, with surprise, that
>perhaps Bach *can* be played well on the pianoforte.  He had given Bach up,
>thinking you could only do him justice on the harpsichord.

Yes,i have to recognize,he was in general terms a modest human being,and i
forgot he thinked many times the only "true" way to listening Bach's music
was on harpsichord.  Concerning Beethoven music,i don't like too much his
Sonatas played by Arrau, and less his Beethoven Sonatas edition,but his old
recording of the five concertos,with the Amsterdam Concertgewau conducted
by Bernhard Haitink are among the best recordings ever made of that music
in my opinion.  Cordially:

Gerardo:.