From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:02:00 PDT
Some new releases of interest:

a.  Nielsen's string quartets nos. 3 & 4 performed by the Oslo Quartet on
Naxos.  Their previous installment was very good, and the price can't be
beat.

b.  Wolf-Ferrari - String trios and duos on CPO.  I "discovered" this
composer about two years ago and have liked what I've heard:  violin
concerto, celo concerto, piano trios, and an opera on Marco Polo, the
name of which escapes me at the moment.

c.  Bloch string quartets on Arabesque performed by the Portlaand Quartet
(two discs, oas).  I don't have any music by Bloch and generally find that
chamber works are a good starting point.

d. Prelude to a Kiss (Decca) - Domingo/Fleming/Barenboim.  This might even
be better than the movie.

Don Satz