From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:37:31 -0500
Felix Delbruck:

>By the way, is the Bach (and other harpsichord) playing of Landowska really
>the ne plus ultra in imagination and eloquence that people used to think it
>is? Or are her instrument and playing style just too weird and overblown to
>be recommendable now-adays?

I don't know about "ne plus ultra," but "weird and overblown" are exactly
the traits in her playing that appeal to me.  I'm not saying there aren't
other imaginative Bach players around, but even accounting for someone like
Gould, the range of interpretation minus Landowska's shrinks considerably.

There are people who love spicy food and people who don't.  Having lived in
New Orleans for over 20 years, I've become accustomed to serious spice.
Stokowski, Virgil Fox, Landowska - bring me more.

Steve Schwartz