From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:04:21 +0200
Alan Lynn wrote:

>I've been listening to a few soundtracks this morning, and am continually
>amazed at the high quality music put out for some films.  I am especially
>fond of James Horner's work for the movie "Glory".

It's not bad at all.  But I later found out to my chagrin that the choral
piece that the movie ends with is an almost literal quotation of
Prokofiev's War and Peace.

Vaughan Williams and Walton have been mentioned by another lister.  This
seems to have been a traditional endeavour for British composers as the
last episode of the BBC 'Masterworks' series showed that Britten composed
scores for documentaries at the beginning of his career.  Of course one
of the greatest classical composers turned film composer may have been
Korngold.  Isn't there a 'complete works' edition in progress on Chandos
that has collections of his Hollywood soundtracks in it?

Ruben