From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:17:24 -0400
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I have a tape of a concert performance of Sibelius's Masonic Ritual Music,
>Op 113, from 1927 which I haven't heard for some years.  IIRC, it featured
>a tenor who sounded uncertain in both words and pitch.  Cecil Gray's
>"Sibelius" refers to it as Musique religieuse.  Both Gray and Grove say the
>work is for voice, chorus and organ but the tape has an orchestra.

This sent me to the Da Capo Catalog of Classical Music Compositions, where
I found a somewhat interesting entry.  Note some of the late revision and
compositions dates and the arrangement from Finlandia:

Masonic Ritual Music, Op 113 (composed 1927, revised 1948) For male chorus,
piano, organ

 1. Introduction
 2. Thoughts be our comfort (Schiller)
 3. Introduction and Hymn (Confucius)
 4. Marcia (Goethe)
 5. Light: How fair are earth and living! (Simelius)
 6. Salem: Onward, ye brethren (Rydberg)
 7. Whosoever hath a love (Rydberg)
 8. Ode to Fraternity (Sario, composed 1946)
 9. Hymn of Praise (Sario, composed 1946)
10. Marche funebre
11. Ode (Korpela)
12. Finlandia Hymn (Sola, composed 1938, arrangement from the tone
    poem Finlandia, Op 26)

The only date that I saw in a quick skim of Sibelius' entries which is
later than the 1946/1948 references here is a 1951 arrangement of the 1921
choral work "Scout March" Op 91 for 2 voices and piano with the title "The
World Song - of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts".  On
this one the year 1951 is accompanied by a "?".

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com/