From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 17:32:08 -0500
Writes John Parker:

>I think the original request was for 'essential' chamberworks of the 20th
>century, and I think by now that request has pretty much been fulfilled.
>So, I will just add a few non-essential items that I particularly enjoy
>and you might want to give them a try sometime.

Mr. Parker then adds some fascinating recommendations- quite a collection
when we add all the recommendations together!!! Someone should put together
a master list.  In any case, let me add:

   Leo Ornstein: String Quartets, Piano Quintet
   Bela Bartok: Contrasts for Clarinet, Violin, Piano
   Shostakovitch: Second Trio for piano and strings
   Ravel: Sonata for Violin and Cello

The last two are IMHO great masterpieces about war and its aftermath.  I
also cannot help observing that once again the title of the thread ceases
to have much to do with the content!!!

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University