From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:34:45 -0700
Mark Seeley ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>1) Can you really cope with late Britten or, if you're honest, do you still
>prefer the Frank Bridge Variations or, if pushed (hard?), the War Requiem?
>I really like Britten's War Requiem, but give me Britten's Simple Symphony
>and the Courtly Dances from Glorianna.

No. In fact I don't care for much that he wrote after the war, period.

>2) Do you really love Bartok Quartets as much as the Concerto for
>Orchestra? Heck no!  There is no love for Bartoks Quartets as there
>is for his Third Piano Concerto and his Concerto for Orchestra.

In fact I have never really likde the Concerto foir Orchestra but have
loved the quartets since I was a teenager.

>3) Given a choice between Peter Grimes and La Boheme, which would you go
>for? Neither.

Busoni's Dr. Faustus.

>4) Can you name any piece by Ligeti? No!  Who is he?

Lux Aeterna, Adventures, Nouvelle Adventures, Requiem, Le Grand Macabre...

>5) Have you ever listened to John Cage for longer than 4 minutes 32
>seconds? No!

It was actually 4:33 not 32.  Not only have I listened to his music for
longer than that, I've played it for longer and I've evern spoken to the
man for around that length of time.

>10) And then, of course, there's Schoenberg, Berg and Webern.  Do you
>really ever pay attention to anything later than Verklarte Nacht? This is
>too convicting; No!  Except for Berg's Violin Concerto which is definitely
>an acquitred taste for me.  Does it count if I like Messiaen's Quartet for
>the End of Time?

No. I just discovered that the Victoria Symphony are playing Webern's
Symphonny next season and I can hardly wait.

Deryk Barker