From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 23:10:52 +0100
I have a sort of perfect pitch.  I can tell you any note played on
the piano and usually if it is even only slightly out of tune, without
reference to any other note.  I can't sing a certain note at all though,
though I can usually recognise any note sung on a non-vibrato voice, e.g.
Kirkby.  The notes just seem to tell me their letter names when I hear
them, they all seem to have an individual personality to them.

I suppose this is the reason that certain keys are chosen for certain
moods.  F major is a very pastoral key hence B6.  C major is a very regal
key hence Mozart PC26.  And is there any more lively key than G major.  My
music teacher suggested it was to do with the open strings on Viol-ins/as
etc.  so G major is obviously going to be a very bright key, as are D,A,E.
A key that has none of those in like Ab Major is going to be very warm and
mellow.  Seems like a sensible explanation to me.  Interesting...

David Stewart