From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 15:50:38 -0700
I was always under the impression that perfect pitch can be learned,
to a greater or lesser extent, by almost anyone (probably to a slightly
lesser extent) willing to put in the time.  I knew someone who would try
to improve his pitch by singing and checking himself with a tuning fork.
When I was playing a lot my pitch got better and better.  After a whole
summer of 14-hour practices I could sing a "g" (or whatever) on command,
almost always within a few cents.  Now of course I have gone backwards
a bit without practice.

But then I've always had a decent ear, so maybe its easier.  I've
definitely known people who were tone-deaf.  That is to say, after
10 years of practice they couldn't whistle "Mary Had a Little Lamb"
on key (any key!) to save their life.  Zeus knows I tried.

Anyone else experiment with learing perfect pitch?

Bob K.