From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 22:15:27 +0100
Kar-Ming Chong wrote:

>I don't think David or David's teacher is whining about HIP performances -
>the teacher suggested the recording of Bach's Mass In B-minor by Gardiner

Sorry, it was the Hyperion one with Robert King and the King's Consort
which he recommended to me.  Statement is just as valid though, more so
since it is even HIPper than the Gardiner, with all male voices.

>But I do agree with Don in regards to the voicing out of personal musical
>preferences to students.  This brings on the question of whether it is
>suitable for teachers to impose their beliefs on students or letting the
>students decide for themselves after offering alternatives.

Well, he does have a bit of an impartiality problem and from my end it is
difficult to disseminate the facts from the opinions, but he is a walking
New Grove and I should really be of the age where I can ignore his 'cute'
comments as and when necessary.  He offered the recommendation in the same
way as would be offered by anyone on this list after all.  I ignored him on
the Bernard Roberts Beethoven recommendation after all and he wasn't in the
least bit disappointed.  I just wish the sound on those Vox things was
better.

David Stewart