From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 17:33:29 PDT
David Stewart wrote:

>What's the Gardiner like? My music teacher says he doesn't like it...
>says he thinks Gardiner is running for a bus when he plays Bach.

That's the old traditional "here's one of the many things I don't like
about HIP performances" whining.  I would think that a music teacher might
place higher priority on sharing with the students the advantages of
different types of performance instead of just throwing out his/her
personal preferences to students in the form of "cute" comments of no
significance.

I generally feel that the poor educational system in the USA is due to
three factors:  money, lack of priority on academics, and pitiful teaching
of teachers-to-be.  Now, in addition to the usual mess, students have to
worry about being carried out of the school in a body bag.

Don Satz