From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:51:01 -0400
Don Satz writes:

>It is rather funny, the notion of experienced musicians and record company
>executives getting together to determine what is good music.  Beyond that,
>there's nothing in this scenario worth a damn.  Maybe Denis is just
>spoofing us by writing as if he is a major elitist.  Whatever, in music,
>I'll always side with the subjective and individualistic point of view.

 From a subjective and individualistic point of view I suppose any
notion can be considered funny.  But in a free society individuals do
resort toward social intercourse to make common judgements on all kinds of
matters.  In what's lazily called The Market the most varied assortment of
individuals coalesce to set prices.  Much the same applies to the setting
of tastes.  In music, the parties having interests in the matter coalesce
to form them.  These parties quite predictably would inlclude record
company executives, whose business is dependent on taste and who therefore
quite naturally would seek a role in forming it.  Experienced, professional
musicians also have vested interests.  And so does Don Satz, who regularly
antes up to the list's tasty pot.  If taste were a matter merely traceable
to Don, we wouldn't have the pleasure of listening today to, say Beethoven.
Don's a mature man, no doubt, but he wasn't around to launch the taste for
Beethoven.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]