From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:49:57 PDT
I've been reading the posts about "experimental" music and a tendency
of some composers to "blame" the audience for lack of appropriate
appreciation.

To me, music is experimental if it veers from established styles
and patterns recognized by an individual.  This is a decision that
the individual composer, performer, and listener makes.  My grandson
experiments often on a daily basis; so much is new to him.  However, all
of his experimentation is "old hat" to me, since I've already gone through
it all.  So, the very same process which is clearly experimental to him is
not experimental to me.  And life goes on.

Concerning blaming the audience, I consider that a huge "cop-out" by the
composer.  Further, what in the world is the point of blaming the audience?
Why does any blame need to be attached? A composer writes a work which the
audience doesn't like - that doesn't make the work a poor one any more than
"bravos" from the audience makes the work a masterpiece.

Don Satz