From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 08:23:44 -0500
Vachnadze replies to me:

>>...Two other famous collaborative works include...and the original version
>>of Der Lindberghflug by Weill and Hindemith.
>
>I am not so sure about the collaborative efforts between Hindemith and
>Weill, if by "collaboration" you mean the two had a prepared plan and
>mutually agreed principle.  It looks like that Hindemith probably stepped
>in as the deadline was approaching.  Hindemith also composed the companion
>piece _The Baden Play of Understanding_ Das Baderner Lehrstueck vom
>Einverstaendnis, which IIRC was completed while the "Lindbergh" was not.

No, the theme of the Donaueschingen festival that year was "collaborative
works," and Brecht and Weill invited Hindemith to collaborate (especially
since they wanted him to produce other works by them).  However, Weill
always had it in mind to set the complete text with his own music and had
done so within a year.  I believe the Weill-Hindemith score was published as
well as the all-Weill score.  At any rate, Hermann Scherchen recorded the
collaborative work in 1931, I believe.

Steve Schwartz