From:
"Leighton M. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 19:00:03 -0700
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Leighton M. Gill wrote concerning high prices for Stockhausen cd's:
>
>>Probably because those who can be duped into actually believing that
>>Stockhausen's works are music can be duped into paying more for
>them.
>
>I just don't understand the above attitude.  It appears to be along the
>lines of - "I don't like it, it doesn't sound like music to me, so it must
>not be music." Humbug!  Music is just that as long as one person considers
>it music, and that can be the composer.

Yes, and if we all believe in fairies...

Believing something is true does not make it true.

Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Of course they're music, just not music you happen to care for.

I seem to recall you saying that you would never again respond to any of
my posts.  Well, I didn't believe it then, either.  As for Stockhausen
being music, I've heard it, and I've heard music, and the two have little
in common.  See below.

Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>It is rumoured that the man has, to some degree at least, taken leave of
his senses.  Such a notion would tend to be supported by his genuine belief
that he is not really a mere human being, but an alien ambassador from some
distant planet in another solar system.  ...  Now he can't even write a
simple String Quartet, without having to incorporate theatrical gimmicks
such as four helicopters.  ...  I rest my case.  By the way, if a performer
completely botches a Stockhausen piece, how could anyone tell?

--Leigh