From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 16:28:09 EDT
Don Satz writes:

>In the world of business and commerce, I've had over 30 years of observing
>and experiencing the "group creativity" approach.  With little exception,
>it's garbage in and garbage out.  Often, the real motivation for its use is
>to shield any one individual from full responsibility for the outcome.  "It
>was a group decision."

Your observations may very well be valid from your point of view but I have
experienced differently.  It may be that music is impossible to write by
committee but many other artistic endeavors and defiantly scientific and
technological efforts can benefit from inspired collaboration.

Countless classic motion pictures are a result of successful collaboration.
No one person could have created "Gone With The Wind," for example.

In non-artistic endeavor I personally have been privileged to have worked
with several successful collaborations in the aerospace industry.
Certainty, no possibility of one person doing it all during those extensive
undertakings.  (Many perceptive and contributing government people
collaborated, as well.)

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA