From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 17:32:58 +1000
Bert Bailey responded to my comment:

>>The label has some rareties worth exlporing and the occasional eccentric
>>coupling - Vorisek's symphony with a 1993 piano concerto by Lukas.
>
>Is this Zdenek Lukas? A first foray in the form, or does he have other
>PCs?

Yes, it is - his Piano Concerto #3.  CD number is 74321 30482 2.  It may
not be to your liking, but at Arte Nova's price, it doesn't matter, and the
Vorisek symphony is a fine Schubertian piece.

>I've heard some of his chamber pieces and found them very interesting,
>though close to the edge of my tastes in terms of astringency.  If I've
>got the right Lukas, what else would you recommend?

The only other works I've heard are his Symphony #4 on a Supraphon LP
set with music by Kalabis, Hlobil and Feld, some of which may have been
transferred to CD but reliable info about Supraphon is harder to come by
than the label, at least in this country.  There's also a marvellous piece
of orchestral neo-Baroque called Bagatelles which I taped from the radio.
I think there are some other releases on Panton which is so ridiculously
hard to obtain I've given up trying.  Certainly, on this slight musical
evidence, he's a composer deserving of better representation.

Richard Pennycuick