From:
Luis M Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:29:56 +0000
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Any opinions on the new Herreweghe recording of Mozarts requiem
>(Harmonia Mundi)?

Herreweghe's recording is one of my favorite "period" recordings (the
other is conducted by Koopman, the best recording of the 30 I own...).
Is approach is a bit different than usual.  I consider it a "happy" version
of the Requiem, if there can be one (but this does not mean any lack of
energy).  Herreweghe's doesn't use fast tempos as most of his HIP coleagues
do.  The orchestral playing is smooth, the brass section is incisive
without never being brutal.  There is a great detail in Herreweghe's way of
conducting, which makes this live recording a very moving reading of this
masterwork.  Ian Bostridge and Sibylla Rubens deserve special mention,
their singing is close to perfection.  He uses de "standard" Sussmayr
completion and I can say that is after the "Lacrimosa" that Herreweghe's
really leaves knock out.  Is "Quam olim Abrahae" fugue is so energetic that
I always forget what people like to say about Sussmayr's poor
orchestration.

Luis Afonso