From:
Hitoshi Asaoka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:51:28 -0500
Lionel Choi <[log in to unmask]> responded to me:

>>Maybe you are already familiar with other Franck's works, but just in case
>>allow me to write down my favorites (except too famous violin sonata,
>>symphony, and string quartet):
>
>Do you mean you don't like the Violin Sonata? I think it's a gorgeous work
>that deserves every bit of its fame.  Favourites for me are Kyung Wha
>Chung/Radu Lupu, Oistrakh/Richter and Mintz/Bronfman.

No, I did not mean so at all.  Simply I felt that I did not have to say
anything about it because we all are certainly familiar with a wide variety
of recordings for this ever-masterpiece.  My favorite includes Chung&Lupu
and Oistrakh&Richter, too.

By the way, it was kind of interesting for me to learn that Oistrakh
did not appreciate this work, according to the video "Enigma"(Richter's
documentary movie).  But Richter said that this sonata was a miracurous
work.

About one year ago, I got the music sheet of this work for 1 piano only,
transcribed by Cortot by chance. I wish some pianist would record this.

>>* Symphonic Variations for piano and orchestra (Sir Clifford Curzon's on
>>Decca, Larrocha's on Decca(this does not seem to be available any more),
>>and I am waiting for Argerich's recording on EMI)
>
>Oh, I hadn't realised Ms Argerich is going to record it.  With Dutoit, I
>presume?

Although this will end up with just a rumor, I read the article in a
Japanese classical music magazine, saying that she would record that
work along with Debussy's fantasie for piano and orchestra and Poulenc's
concerto for 2 pianos. (with Dutoit)

>>* Prelude, choral et fugue (Richter's, Francois', Perahia's,
>>Marie-Catherine Girod's)
>
>I'm not familiar with Francois' or Girod's, unfortunately.  The recent
>Kissin (RCA) is wonderful, too, though in a different way from Hough's,
>which I also enjoy.  You'll find stimulating comparison between these two.

Francois' is included in EMI's box set and Girod's was on Accord, and
the latter was coupled with the symphony conducted by Munch.

*** Hitoshi Asaoka ([log in to unmask]) ***