From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:53:54 -0800
I've got here a CD (well almost...a page in a catalog) claiming something
I can't figure:

I recognize BWV 1004 as the 2nd Partita for solo Violin.  This label is
also claiming that 1004 is the number for a "chaconne-tombeau" for 2 voices
(& continuo?) JSB wrote upon the death of his first wife Maria Barbara.
(They also claim this is the "world premiere recording."--this seems
unlikely for -authentic- works by JSB) There is indeed a chaconne in the
partita in question, but I find no evidence that it has words or was ever
intended for voices.  Grove's, Bakers, RED, even our complete BWV catalogue
have no mention about an alternate scoring or original piece for BWV 1004,
and they are usually very good about JSB's arrangements of his own works.
I have not the actual CD so I can't listen to try to determine the source.

Has anyone any clue what may be going on here? Speculations welcome.
Thanks -par usual-.

Bob K.