From:
Allan Gotthelf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 05:33:24 EDT
Don Satz writes:

>Actually, I can only think of one version that I disliked - R.
>Serkin/Ozawa on Telarc.  Serkin made numerous mistakes at the worst times
>for my taste, and Ozawa must have been on a mental vacation.  Avoid this set.

By contrast, there's a lovely performance of the Emperor Concerto that
Ozawa is involved in, this one with Kempff -- on Music & Arts CD 768.
What makes this an absolute winner, alongside Kempff's lovely performance,
and Ozawa's integration with him, is the several times in tuttis the 3rd
movement when you can hear Kempff singing along with the orchestra!  He's
so perfectly in tune that at other moments when the entering orchestral
instrument(s) is close in timbre to the human voice you think for a moment
that it's Kempff again.  Concerto in E flat for Piano, Orchestra, and
Enraptured Voice.  Highly recommended!

Allan Gotthelf