From:
Billy Kitson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:12:48 +1000
I seem to recall from the depths that the "Snag/Problem" with the "Prix de
Roma" was the personnel that decided whom was the "winner".  Not only did
they Not judge the best/better Musos works = they were as biased as to be
"Unbelievable"!!  If One was an "enfante terrible" such as Berlioz, then
One had "a snow ball in hell's" chance of the Prix!!  Had you written the
masterpiece to beat all masterpieces, if You were a "Hippie/ Alternate "
You had Zero chances!!

Does winning any "Prize" really "mean" that One has done something??
Winners of the local "Young Performer of the Year" seem on the whole to
also disappear without trace??

Refer to my comments on the Queensland Youth Orch = of over 100 Only One
seems to be a "mini-star":- I doubt if the Tasmanian Chamber Players are
the Hottest property on the C M World scene??

I must blandly admit that after almost 60 years "dabbling" in CM, I had
Never heard of the Pulitzer for Music until a Month ago!?*

Bill(Y).