From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:35:08 -0400
I fully appreciate the spirit in which the original comment about op.111
was made and I do not mean to denigrate it by my response.  The seeds of
any evolved creature may be found in earlier species.  This does not mean
however that the early "ancestors" had any inkling of what they would
eventually become or even any intention of "becoming" anything.  Their
adaptations were simply their own creative responses to the environment
in which they found themselves.  Thus, when we hear "jazz" in Beethoven or
other classical era composers it is either coincidence or (significantly)
something that the African Americans who originated jazz may have picked up
from their own hearing of European music and incorporated as part of the
stew that became jazz.

Frankly, rather than particular motives or melodies, I would think that
citing the improvisation practiced by Mozart and others would be more apt
as a description of Europeans practicing a primitive version of jazz music.

Jazz music is quintessentially American.  (Or at least it used to be.  One
of the exciting trends in jazz is how it is now being influenced by strains
from around the world and has the potential to "reinvent" itself once
again.) In its own way it is definitely an art form deserving of study and
attention comparable to that afforded by those of us on this list to
European classical music.  Alas, another time; another place.

BTW, if anyone knows of any good jazz lists please contact me privately.
I subscribed to one for a while but the nonmusical content overwhelmed the
musical to an annoying degree.

Ed