From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:13:55 -0800
I've been noticing lately that PT takes a lot of flak both on this list and
elsewhere.  What's the deal? Though he's not a personal fave I've always
thought he was widely regarded as being right up there with the big boys.
The only favorable remarks I've seen here lately were about Sym 6.  We all
had a week of free-for all on the 1812 ov.  The early syms also take
repeated beatings.  (I -do- like the Serenade for Strings, Op. 48 w.
Micha Rachlevsky/Kremlin CO, Claves CD 509116.)

I remember a famous conductor (I forget who; Boulez maybe? anybody know?)
once said:

   "I hate Tchaikovsky and will not conduct him.  But if the audience
   wants him, they can have him."

Please, please: what is the lowdown on poor Piotr?

Bob K., who can't get the Serenade Strs theme from his head