From:
Luis M Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:56:27 +0000
Last night, Kovacevich gave a fantastic Beethoven recital here in Lisbon.
Among the works he played, there was the piano sonata Opus 111.  It was
the first time I ever heard the work.  In the beginning of the second
movement,I thought I was hearing to jazz music.  Could it be possible,
Beethoven, the pioneer of jazz music? Was it just me? Was Kovacevich
interpretation? Above all, I fell in love with the work.  Not only for the
jazzy mood, but mainly for the extension of emotions presented.  Anyone
care to give some recommendations? Should I go with Kovacevich? And after
Op. 111, where should I go next within Beethoven Piano Sonatas? Thanks for
your patience.

Luis Afonso
The Portuguese Classical Music Site:
http://www.terravista.pt/Meco/2672/