From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:48:32 -0400
One of the most memorable teachers I ever had was a high school music
teacher and choir director.  Admitedly it was at an independent school,
but, nonetheless, I had little or no interest in the arts at the time.
I preferred athletics.

However, looking back, I see a similarity between Mary Brewer and the
coaches I admired.  Both accepted nothing but the best and both were
passionate about their subjects.  (I remember her telling the choir that
one can be "professional" without being paid.) Over time her superior
intellect and mastery of her subject began to come through.  Singing in her
choir with the second tenors I can still recall her (looking straight at me
but addressing the whole choir) saying: "Sometimes the best contribution
we can make to a passage is to MOUTH THE WORDS." I've thought of this
advice often as I've worked on other collaborative ventures over the years.

I went on to a career in teaching and coaching myself.  I was fortunate
enough to have some success coaching and "rose" to coach on the college
level.  The reason I mention this is not to brag but, rather, to tell you
what happened next.  Seeds planted many years earlier began to sprout.  I
eventually stopped coaching and found myself listening to more and more
music, and listening more and more carefully.  Then I started reading about
it.  Sometimes I'd hear a piece we had studied.  Finally, I began taking
piano lessons so I could understand harmony etc.  better.  Anyway, recently
I wrote her a letter in the retirement home in which she was living.  I
mentioned to her that: "You might be surprised to learn that a Saturday
afternoon is more likely to find me listening to the Metropolitan Opera
broadcast than watching a college football game."

The point of all this rambling is that a teacher CAN make a difference,
even though they may never realize the difference they have made.  I wish
you the best of luck in your career choice and I sincerely hope you follow
your own dream and not the dreams others have for you.

Ed