From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:30:23 -0500
John Detwiler wrote:

>>I'd like to conduct an experiment, probably when I get into college, to
>>see how much a "big name" influences people's opinions of music.

And Roger Hecht replied:

>This is a variation on something I've always wondered about.  How many
>pieces written by famous composers are in the repertoire solely because of
>the name of the composer? I could really get myself into trouble by citing
>the works I think we'd never hear of, or we wouldn't hear so much of (and
>hear so much), were they compossed by someone not considered great.

Seeing trouble's not your idea of fun, how about I turn your thought
upside down, as it were, and put this to you: Would you list some pieces
that you consider _would_ be in the standard repertoire were it not for
their composers' obscurity? I'd be most interested in 20th century music,
but no matter.  However, could you stick to recorded music?

Bert Bailey