HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:41:00 -0500
From:
"Christopher P. Murphy" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Histarchers,
    A chemist and his student at my university are cleaning some
iron/steel artifacts for me using electrolysis.  They are experimenting
with variables (amperage, electrolyte composition, etc.) which affect
the speed (and maybe other aspects) of the reaction.  They have had good
results so far but in his search for a standard technique or method used
by archaeologists and archaeology lab technicians to de-rust artifacts,
he has had no luck.

    I am unable to give him any useful information on the subject.  Can
any list members suggest useful sources of information on this topic (I
recall something brief in Noel-Hume on the topic, but that is all).  Is
there a standard method for cleaning up metal by electrolysis to which I
might refer him?

    Any guidance will be appreciated.

    Chris