Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:45:26 PDT
From:
Robin Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Andrew Carlan wrote:

>Robin, you misunderstood me.  I wasn't trying to criticize you or denigrate
>Grooves' contents.  I am anxious to get a bite at it when it goes on line.
>
>I think Macmillan might actually make more by opening Grooves' up to
>advertisers and letting thousands more pore over its valuable pages than
>making the entrance price so high that only serious researchers could
>afford or justify the expense.  It might also contribute to a classical
>music revival, which will come sooner or later.

Thanks for explaining, Andrew!  You know, I was thinking about your
idea about advertising and I wonder if it might actually be very useful.
Personally, I don't know enough about making money on the internet, but
I can imagine that something like Grove would be accessed a great deal.
I think it would be fantastic to have the information available for free.
I don't imagine that it would stop schools, libraries, universities etc.
buying the hard copy either.

How does one go about finding out how much revenue can be raised from
advertising on the internet? Perhaps, if we can get enough information
together, we can persuade Grove to allow free access to the information
we have.

Wouldn't that be cool!  It would look wonderful for music and would be a
real example of the power of the consumer!

Robin Newton