Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:50:13 PDT
From:
Robin Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Bob Draper:

>I haven't seen this edition but I wonder how much space Wagenseil gets with
>his massive output.

He gets about 2500.  Not bad, I guess.

>And, of course to the average reader there's an implicit message in the
>amount of space allocated ie the greatest get most.

That's true of course, but even the average reader only has to think about
what 'better than' means in the context of a musician to realise that the
relative length of articles is never an accurate reflection of their worth,
or standing, or influence.

>On a more positive note: I reckon the idea of putting the New Grove
>online would be excellent.  A massive task though.  Any work going?

It is a massive task in a sense.  The massive part is putting in coding
so that everything that needs to be searched can be - birth dates, death
dates, occupations, names, towns, book titles, authors etc.  I have no idea
if there work going, but I'm sure they would appreciate any ideas.  You can
mail Grove on either

<[log in to unmask]>  or

With the online Grove, though, the current plan is to have a team who
constantly add, update and correct, so you never know!  Drop them a line
and see!

Robin Newton