Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:01:58 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Felix Delbruck approaches:

>A request for Bob Draper concerning Mozart generally:
>Could you provide a list of those of Mozart's works which, having
>heard them particularly praised by many others, you haven't yet
>listened to yourself? It's come to light, for instance, that you
>aren't yet familiar with Don Juan or the Marriage of Figaro.

"I clutch my Purcellian good luck charm"

I haven't yet listened to the M/deponte trilogy they're waiting on my
shelf.  Some of the chamber works that have been praised I'm not sure if
I've heard or not.  It happens like this.  On odd occassions I hear a work
I like on the radio it turns out to be (say) a Mozart quartet but I neglect
to note the number.  So I go out and buy a bunch of CDs of M's quartets but
don't find the one I liked.  The others I've bought I don't like so I give
up.

Don Satz attacks:

>I did find Bob's intimidation theme interesting.  Are there any
>listeners out there who feel intimidated into buying recordings they
>really don't want because of "consensus" opinion? Sounds strange to
>me.  Buying and listening to recordings is such a private activity
>that I can't imagine anyone not handling it just the way they want
>to.

"I raise my Brahmsian shield"

I think we have a King's suit of new clothes situation here.  In the
story, the people think that only fools can't see the clothes.  Likewise
people think that only fools don't like the Mozart gems, and of course
only dimwits find "The Requiem" a boring work.

"Norman Schwartz makes a thrust forward"

>How can there be any inconsistency with a love for both Mozart AND
>romantic composers? It is well known that Tchaikovsky, one of the
>foremost romantic composers, had a deep admiration for WAM.  Just
>listen to PIT's Suite #4, "Mozartiana".

"I wave the Haydnite sword.  Like lightening it flashes in the sunlight"

I agree that it is logical that there should be no inconsistency here.  I,
myself, like music from all eras, early music to the present (including
some Mozart).  But there is a lot of evidence to support my proposal.
Secondhand CD stores are awash with Mozart cds they can't get rid of.
They give you bottom dollar for one if you try to sell it (if they are
prepared to buy).  Yet Glasunov CDs (for instance) are at a much higher
premium.  I accept that much of this is because the market has been so
flooded with Mozart CDs.  But I've outlined this problem before.

"I retreated to my enchanted CD player to listen to more opera.  But keep
the magic sword at the ready for fear of further incursions"

"" Excerpts from the 'The Mozartians Attack' from the 'Lord Of The
Haydnites" trilogy c1999 BD.  Anyone caught reproducing this work will
be forced to attend an entire Stockhausen concert.

Bob Draper