Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:39:00 -0700
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
I have to make an uncomfortable observation to all that accuse Public Radio
stations of catering to the lesser tastes of the general public.  (Everyone
but us.)

Recently I submitted a posting regarding Schoenberg's "Moses and Aron,"
which did not generate even one public response.  Granted, my "review" was
not exactly substantial, but I'm surprised no one wanted to talk about the
work itself, or the conductor, or the recording--even if it has been talked
about previously.  A new recording of a major 20th Century opera such as
"Moses and Aron" conducted by a man with the stature of Boulez doesn't
come around too often.

Yet there have been at least 22 postings regarding, "Was Beethoven Black,"
and a whopping 56 on "Soundtracks." If you were a general manager for a CM
radio station and used the latest MCML archives as a guide to "what's hot,"
what would *you* schedule between 7 and 9PM? A Schoenberg opera or a
Performance Today - Special Edition: Was Beethoven Black? (With special
guest, movie composer John Williams.)

May all of us barbarians hang our heads in shame.....

John Smyth