Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:32:26 -0400
From:
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
David Stewart:

>We have had another who claims that he is an INFLUENTIAL conductor and
>composer (I would like a bit of evidence to support THAT one) and another
>claiming that he is the best in his field (this is an acceptable OPINION I
>admit).  I suggest that they feel they have the justification to say these
>things simply because he is the most FAMOUS in his field, and that they
>therefore will have a strong support in any daft compliment they make of
>him.

First off, influential and good are two entirely different things.  I
believe Adolf Hitler is in the list of Time's top 10 most influential
people in the century, but I doubt many would claim that his goals or
practices were good...  John Williams the conductor stepped in to Boston
and filled some very large shoes, indeed.  But he did his job well, for
what he was called to do.  Is he on par with HVK? Heck, no!  Of course not!
I don't believe anyone ever claimed him to be a great conductor in that
sense.  His contribution comes from taking classical music to the masses
via the Pops.  Opening new ears to support our love of music is never a
bad thing, regardless of your personal opinion of the man's skills.  How
many people in this country never heard any "classical" music except what
they heard in movies and on July 4th when they tune in to the Boston Pops
to watch the 1812 overture and see fireworks on PBS? Williams took the
"classical" genre to the masses, and is probably responsible (directly
or indirectly) for classical music being more popular in the 90's that
it might otherwise be.

Is it a crime to be an ambassador of music just because you're not a world
class conductor? Is it a crime that God gave him the ability to be arguably
the best FILM composer of recent history?

I think this sounds like the same argument I get from flute players about
James Gallaway - many despise him for being too commercial, etc.  Big deal.
People like that help keep classical music alive monetarily.  How many
orchestras can you name that don't receive a large part of their operating
revenue from pops concerts? It's a moot point people.  Stop trashing
people's contribution just because you don't like their methods.  It's just
as childish and ignorant as anything else you complain about yourselves...

Ps - I see my previous post about J.W. was taken the wrong way by many.  My
feeble attempt at mockery was unclear, in retrospect.  I'll try to be more
open with my sarcasm in the future, hehe.  ;-)

Also, David Stewart, this is by no means directed at you personally.  Just a
general rant...

Alan Lynn