Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 15:47:03 -0400
From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Aaron Rabushka seconds Joel Lazar's list and himself:

>>I'd be sure to include (in no particular order) Nicholas Maw, Sofia
>>Gubaidulina and Gyorgy Ligeti in any such short list.
>
>...and if the fourth spot's not taken count me in!

Votes are not just numerical.  Sometimes fewer voters have more influence
because on any interest that we have an opinion there are two variables,
the least important is the choice, the more important is the priority
compared to our other interests.  I would say this survey reveals a lot
of tepid interest winding down to, oh!  if Lazar lists those three and he
should know, I'll second that.  Besides, it hypothetical, it isn't even
our money.

I'll contribute $100 for a starter.  Now I am that rabid that the money
should be dedicated to encourage U.S. orchestras to program Nielsen
symphonies so the public can ultimately decide whether Nielsen is being
ignored--as our "Old Hickory," Andy Jackson-notes in his response under
"Nielsen's Symphony #6." Of course, I agree with Jackson.  I'd even vote
for him if he'd run for President again.

The public is being duped and bored to death by these note-grinders.  Let
them hear some real 20th century actual music written by a human being to
other human beings.  I'd love some young composer to have the genius to
turn out real music.  I am not even predefining what style it would be.
Let's hear it first.  But now? Nada.  I don't have a sound card so I
haven't heard Stirling's music.  I have a feeling from his fervor that
I am missing something.

Andrew E. Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Standing Up For Nielsen