Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:32:06 -0400
From:
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Rachel Ehrenberg wrote:

>John Williams gives plagiarism a whole new meaning.

So what? I agree, one can't listen to any of his scores without hearing
bits of Stravinsky, Holst, Strauss, etc.  coming to mind, but film music
isn't always about originality.  It's about making a sound that fits the
film.  Besides, I am a big proponent that all modern music is in a sense
just arrangements of something already written.  Music has been around for
centuries - surely somewhere, sometime every chord progression, melody,
etc, has already been written, even if not well known.

John Williams is one of the most influential composers/conductors of our
times, like it or not.  He's also a very talented guitarist and an emmisary
of sorts to the musically uneducated.  Besides, the man knows how to write
a good horn part.  ;-)

Alan Lynn